What is a Funeral Home GPL?
If you decide to start preplanning for your funeral arrangements, know that you can contact more than one funeral home and request a GPL – General Price List – of the funeral home’s prices. The Federal Trade Commission’s Funeral Rule requires that certain items be listed on the GPL.
According to the National Funeral Directors Association (NFDA), certain items must be contained on every funeral home’s GPL. After listing the name of the funeral home, address, phone number, title of General Price List, effective date and disclosure – choice of goods and services, these 16 items must be listed:
1. Basic Services of Funeral Director and Staff
3. Other Preparation of the Body
4. Services and Facilities for Viewing
5. Services and Facilities for Funeral Ceremony
6. Services and Facilities for Memorial Service
7. Services and Equipment for Graveside Service
8. Transfer of Remains to Funeral Home
11. Casket Price Range
12. Outer Burial Container Price Range
13. Forwarding Remains
14. Receiving Remains
15. Direct Cremations
16. Immediate Burials
For a detailed explanation of each item listed, visit the NFDA website for more information.